What are Dental Implants and What are They Used for?
Dental implants are classified as general “equipment” used in odontic practice. Implants replace teeth removed and couldn’t be restored. Development helped people restore healthy and natural smiles, correct bite and renew chewing mechanisms.
Dentures are produced from various materials. Cost of dental implants depends on what it’s made of. It’s very important the implant be compatible with natural mucous membrane of oral cavity, for which appropriate diagnostics are carried out.
Dental implants types
Dental prostheses differ in materials they’re made from and what areas they’ll be placed in. Look at the implant groups based on their oral cavity location.
- Endosteal – placed on the jawbone – it’s small screw screwed into the bone. Mostly, for such prosthesis manufacture, titanium is used – it’s durable material preventing the jawbone destruction.
- Subperiosteal – placed under the gum or above it. This prosthesis type is used when jaw bone density is low enough to make it brittle – previous category implants can provoke irreparable bone tissue damage.
Additionally, there are certain dental implants materials. Each one has its special properties, designed for individual purposes, and dental implants costs depend on material.
- Titanium – widely used in dentistry. Metal is distinguished by its durability and strength. Samely, it’s light, which doesn’t weigh down the bone.
- Zirconia. It’s recent “development” in dental business, thus there’s no special data regarding material durability. Implants have a higher cost than the first prosthesis type.
- Less commonly, gold and cobalt-chromium are used. It’s cheaper alternative, but not popular. Researches show the best material is titanium.
Dental implantation techniques
Dental implants can be fixed differently.
- Traditional technique. Implant’s screw is inserted into the gum and serves for replacing tooth roots. Then the structure holding the crown is affixed to this base. When implant heals and “merges” into natural oral cavity functioning, crown is fixed on it. It’s suitable for people who have lost several teeth.
- Temporal implant placement. Prosthesis is installed for certain period, and then replaced with crown. Implant can be loaded immediately after procedure.
- Removable denture stabilization – mini-implants installed for crowns loosening prevention and their bases strengthen.
- Entire oral cavity replacement – 4 implants are implanted into the jawbone, replacing dental arches.
Immediately before prosthesis implantation, doctors closely interact with patients. In particular, the following aspects are to be discussed:
- implant position and its material are determined;
- prosthesis brand – manufacturer and costs for dental implants;
- patient chooses operational technique based on specialist’s recommendations.
Additionally, physicians necessarily warn patients about possible side effects after operation and give recommendations on implant care.